Re: Question about draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis

Hi -

Knowing how one tool works, I'd suggest trying to move all the
relevant existing OBJECT-IDENTITY definitions to the new
module, and then use IMPORTS to ensure that the definitions are
available in the updated version of the MAU-MIB.   This would
need to be tested with popular tools; whether it will work will
depend on just how the implementors read the first paragraph
of RFC 2578 section 3.2, and the third and fourth paragraphs
of section 10.  It will hinge on how much the tools care about
the distinction between the places where an IS_DEFINED()
predicate would be true for a symbol, and where the definition
actually resides.

The minimal test requires three modules:
    module A defines X
    module B imports X from A
    module C imports X from B

If X can actually be used in C, we have a potential solution.

Randy