Re: Question about draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis

HI,

I agree with Juergen, and believe that the Heard suggestion,
while technically illegal, is a VERY practical approach
to solve the problem. That is...

If have
  AMOD DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    aOI OBJECT-IDENTITY
      :: = { foo 1 }
  END
And change to
  AMOD DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    aOI OBJECT IDENTIFIER  :: = { foo 1 } -- change from OBJECT-IDENTITY
  END
  BMOD DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN -- a new MIB MODULE
   aOI2 OBJECT-IDENTITY
     :: = { foo 1 }  -- reuse OID value
   END
is technically illegal, but practical.

However, the following is legal and practical, but maybe a
a little confusing, since the new MIB module, BMOD, would
have "OBJECT IDENTIFIER" specifications for old items,
and "OBJECT-IDENTITY" specifications for new items.
  AMOD DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
   aOI OBJECT-IDENTITY
      :: = { foo 1 } -- no change from original
  END
  BMOD DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN -- a new MIB MODULE
   -- The following OID value is defined in AMOD, but is
   -- defined here (with a different descriptor) so that
   -- all OID values can be contained in one MIB module
   aOI2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER :: = { foo 1 }  -- reuse OID value

   -- new items would use OBJECT-IDENTITY
   END

Regards,
/david t. perkins