RE: Suggestion for Sections in I-Ds(and RFC) containing MIb modules

Hi,

I agree that xml2rfc should be encouraged because it automatically
does the numbering, uses the newest boilerplate revisions for required
boilerplates, generates the table of contents, and enforces many of
the I-D/RFC publication requirements.

These are already generated/made easier by xml2rfc (if I remember
correctly):

1) titles
2) authors
3) date updates and expires (to a degree)
4) abstract section heading (unnumbered)
5) keywords for use in IETF search engine
6) section header numbering and internal references
7) lists
8) artwork
9) figures, including titles
10) "Status of This Memo"
11) "Copyright Notice"
12) "Table of Contents"
13) " Author's Addresses" (to match the front page)
14) appendices (in a manner approved by the I-D/RFC editors)
15) references and citations
16) the xml2rfc website has preformatted references for RFCs, I-Ds,
W3C specs, and other commonly referenced documents. I believe this
feature includes the following good things (I don't use this, so might
be wrong):
	a) you can simply identitify the reference using the URL to
the xml2rfc copy in an <!ENTITY> tag, and it will insert it when it
generates the text document.
	b) for I-Ds, it will insert the latest revision known (which
it can get from the updated-daily XML listing from the I-D and RFc
editors)
17) any section heading you choose will be appropriately numbered
based on position and nesting depth; you choose the title and the
anchor (for internal references), so "Acknowledgments" and/or
"Contributors" can be added as desired.
18) Since the XML is structured and labeled, the RFC-Editor will
actually use the XML during their editing to automate checking some
things, and generating the RFC format rather than the I-D format from
the XML sources.
19) xml2rfc also generates HTML for posting to web sites, and other
document formats for other purposes.
20) "References" (numbered to suit I-D editor)
21) IPR Boilerplate (author selects which version)

I would like to see some mib-related aspects added to the tool, but my
TCL skills and XML skills are not up to the task (not that I've
tried).

If we asked the current rfc2xml maintainers to add certain features, I
suspect they would be willing to do so, but we would need to be
specific about the features we asked for, and would probably need to
approach it incrementally. I suspect the following would be easy:
1) adding the RFC2119 boilerplate
2) "The Internet-Standard Management Framework" (MIB boilerplate) PLUS
[RFC 3410] reference.
3) An "Overview" section heading
4) a "Definitions" section heading
5) a "Security Considerations" section heading
6) an "IANA Considerations" section heading

Thiings I believe could not be added easily, because the tool doesn't
handle not overwriting modified templates:
1) an empty MIB module layout
2) mib security considerations

One problem I find is that people copy existing documents to use as a
template, and the document they choose is out-of-date. It certainly
would be viable to provide an up-to-date template for a MIB module
document in XML2RFC format, to encourage MIB module editors to move
towards this solution.

I probably could have egebrated onw in the time it took to write this
message ;-)

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

rfc2223bis)