RE: MIB transition

Dave,

While agreeing with your analysis and with the recommendations, I would
like to point to one aspect that may be important in this discussion.
The IETF was very slow in following the pace of standards development in
the IEEE 802.1 Working Group so that from the perspective of the IEEE
the work that is just now being completed by the IETF corresponds to the
previous generation of bridge technology development.

As you correctly point:

> In the Bridge WG, we didn't address all changes that have
> been incorporated into 802.1D-2004. Does anybody know of
> specific changes to 802.1D-2004 or the 802.1Q-REV or other
> 802.1 work that will REQUIRE a technical change to the
> existing IETF standards-track MIB modules?

The IEEE 802.1ad (Provider Bridges) and IEEE 802.1ah (provider backbone)
change the structure of the VLANs by allowing for an extended and
hierarchical VLAN space to be defined. This will certainly require some
of the VLAN specific MIB tables to be extended or replaced.

Regards,

Dan