Re: MIB transition

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, David B Harrington wrote:
> I would like to ensure the IETF, with our formal MIB Doctor review
> process,  has approval rights over any 802.1 work that would **change
                                              ^
                                             MIB
> existing IETF standards**, at least until the 802.1 WG gets more
> MIB-savvy. We don't need approval rights over any 802.1 supplements to
> our standards.

I understand this concern.  However, I have severe misgivings about any
plan that does not at the outset make provisions for maintenance work.  We
in the IETF have conceded that we no longer have the resources to maintain
the bridging-related MIB modules.  So we need to make a plan for the IEEE
to do it.  And that plan should allow for reasonably fast turn around.

I said before that the IEEE 802.1 WG should have the same authority as an
IETF WG would have.  But as we all know there are conditions attached the
authority that an IETF WG has to modify MIB modules -- among them is the
condition that the mods have to pass MIB Doctor scrutiny.  Would your
concerns be addresses if the IEEE could be persuaded to allow review by
an IETF Designated Expert (read: MIB Doctor) for any actual modifications
they wish to the IETF bridge MIB modules?  It sounds like they want to do
that anyway for their own MIB modules.

//cmh