Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:04:05 +0200 (MESZ)
From: "Alfred [hp-roman8] HÎnes" <ah@tr-sys.de>
To: heard@pobox.com, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Subject: RFC 4181 indeed updates RFC 2578..2580

Hello,

the recently published RFC 4181 == BCP 111 repeatedly points out
(throughout its whole section 4.) that various remarks of that
memo clarify, update/amend, or even correct certain parts of
STD 58, RFC 2578..2580 -- in accordance with current practice
and IETF consensus.

Unfortunately, this important relationship is not documented in
the heading of RFC 4181, and hence currently does not shine up
in the RFC index.
Notwithstanding this omission, I strongly propose adding appropriate
tags to the RFC index to reflect and more visibly document that.
Hence, using the notation of "rfc-index.txt" (not the XML source),
o  add the tag
       '(Updated by RFC4181)'
   to the entries for RFC 2578, RFC 2579, and RFC 2580, and
o  add the corresponding tag
       '(Updates RFC2578, RFC2579, RFC2580)'
   to the entry for RF 4181.

Additionally, a small note to the Author / Ed. of the RFC:

I've also observed two minor typos in the text of RFC 4181
that migth be worth noting for consideration in the case of
any future update to this RFC:

*  The bottom text line of page 29 says:

      " ... .  Two point are worth reiterating:"
                       ^^
   It should say:

      " ... .  Two points are worth reiterating:"

*  The first line of item 8 in Appendix A, on page 34, says:

      "... -- if the draft does not contains a verbatim copy ..."
                                           ^
   It should say:

      "... -- if the draft does not contain a verbatim copy ..."

Best regards,
  Alfred HÎnes.

--

| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |