RE: Pls review documents on IESG Agenda October 27, 2005 Telechat

Bert,

http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ieprep-doma
in-req-05.txt includes in the Security Consideration section the
following:

  - Most current deployments of SNMP are of versions prior to
       SNMPv3, even though there are well-known security
       vulnerabilities in those versions of SNMP.

  - SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 cannot support cryptographic
       security mechanisms.  Hence, any use of SNMP prior to
       version 3 to write or modify MIB objects do so in a
       non-secure manner.  As a result, it may be best to constrain
       the use of these objects to read-only by MIB managers.

  - Finally, any MIB defining writable objects should carefully
       consider the security implications of an SNMP compromise on
       the mechanism(s) being controlled by those writable MIB
       objects.

1. I believe that the first paragraph should also mention that SNMPv3 is
the current standard version, while previous versions are Historical.
2. I am not sure what this 'SNMP compromise' is supposed to mean. Can
you ask for a clarification?

Thanks and Regards,

Dan