RE: MIB OID assignement

From RFC2026:
  4.2.1  Experimental

   The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
   is part of some research or development effort.  Such a specification
   is published for the general information of the Internet technical
   community and as an archival record of the work, subject only to
   editorial considerations and to verification that there has been
   adequate coordination with the standards process (see below).  An
   Experimental specification may be the output of an organized Internet
   research effort (e.g., a Research Group of the IRTF), an IETF Working
   Group, or it may be an individual contribution.

So this draft-glenn-mo-aggr-mib-07.txt could fall in that category.
But, in IESG we also use the following:

  The rules above are not terribly tight.
  In particular, the reasons for declaring something "part of a research and
  development effort" aren't clear, and the word "typically" allows a lot of
  wiggle room.

  So more guidelines can be needed.

  The following set of guidelines seem to make sense.
  The list is read from top to bottom; the first one that seems to apply is probably
  the one that makes sense to follow.

  - If it can't be practiced, it's Informational.
  Unless it's a protocol, a procedure or a format, it is hard to see what kind
  of experiment it can be.
  Case in point: "Terminology for ATM ABR benchmarking" (RFC 3134).

  - If it's not going to be changed no matter what the result is, it's Informational.
  This is typically the case with vendor protocols; the vendor will publish it for
  the good of the community, but retains full change control, and gives no promises
  about listening to community feedback.
  Case in point: "Microsoft Point-To-Point Encryption (MPPE) Protocol" (RFC 3078)

  - If the IETF may publish something based on this on the standards track once we know
  how well this one works, it's Experimental.
  This is the typical case of not being able to decide which protocol is "better" before
  we have experience of dealing with them from a stable specification.
  Case in point: "PGM Reliable Transport Protocol Specification" (RFC 3208)

  - If the document contains implicit or explicit success/failure criteria, and it's
  clear that the outcome can be used as the basis for a recommendation to the IETF
  community, it's Experimental.
  Case in point: RFC 1797 "Class A Subnet Experiment"
  which led to RFC 1879 "Class A Subnet Experiment Results and Recommendations"

  Note that criterion 3 above is not intended to say that by publishing this, the IETF
  is promising to do a followup; the IETF may later decide that the experiment failed, and may
  sometimes believe this outcome to be very probable even when publishing the document.

  Criterion 2 may be hard to evaluate, because it requires evaluating the intent of the
  proposer; still, sometimes it is very easy, and nothing further needs to be said.

So the question we are faced with (I think) is if we stop at criterion 2 above,
or if we believe that ultimately something may get developed in IETF based on
experience with this doc, in case we are at criterion 3 above.

I think the doc does not provide the items listed in criterion 4.

I think I agree that if we stick to informational, then maybe the MIB module
should go under Gelnn's own companies vendor OID.

We can advise the RFC-Editor of this, if we agree.

Bert