RE: terminology nit

Hi Andy,

Our job as standards developers isn't to solve operational problems,
but to solve one persistent problem that operators (and implementors)
face - having to use vendor-specific and non-interoperable
implementations of technologies to solve operational problems.

Our job as standards developers is to develop specifications that are
sufficiently unambiguous that compliant implementations will
interoperate, and implementors have clear specs to implement, so
operators can use standardized technologies to solve their operational
problems, regardless of which implementations they choose to employ.

If we produce specs that are not sufficiently unambiguous, then
implementations will vary, which will hinder operators from solving
their operational problems, and the non-interoperability of the
implementations may actually introduce additional operational problems
(e.g. security holes created by the variation in implementations).

Toolkits are a wonderful supplement to standards, but toolkits are
simply implementations that can also vary and be non-interoperable if
the specs are not clear and unambiguous. And not every operator or
vendor chooses to use one of the available toolkits.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

implementors,