Re: multi6

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Geoff Huston wrote:

> >that's the 'redundancy' requirement.
> >
> >there is also the 'load balancing' requirement.  when an entity is paying
> >for two oc3s (or t1s or whatever), they seem to want to get benefit out of
> >both when things are running normally.
>

> Spot on Randy.
>
> A lot (most?) of the growth pressure in today's BGP table comes from using
> BGP to load balance - i.e. announce differing sets of more specific prefixes
> down different wires in order to (crudely) perform inter-domain traffic
> engineering for load balancing.

Having been on both sides of the provider/customer fence, I will say that
redundancy was always the overriding requirement, and load sharing was a
nice side effect.  This is very important to a lot of people, and I agree
this should probably go on the list, but a cursory poll should probably
show what is more important ;)

/vijay (trying to walk before running)