Re: Requirements for IP Multihoming Architectures

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> >Abstract
> >
> >   Multihoming is an essential component of service for autonomous
> >   systems connected to the Internet.  The existing multihoming
> >   architecture is based on CIDR [1], which is predicated upon a
> >   hierarchy of service providers.
>
> 	"autonomous system" - we may need to clarify that it does not need to
> 	be an "autonomous system" in BGP terminology.  it can be an IPv6 leaf
> 	site, without autonomous system number (see
> 	draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-2260-00.txt, use of RFC2260-like technique
> 	with RIPng).

RFC1918 defines an "enterprise":

----------------------------------8<----------------------------------
1. Introduction

   For the purposes of this document, an enterprise is an entity
   autonomously operating a network using TCP/IP and in particular
   determining the addressing plan and address assignments within that
   network.

Maybe that definition (or the first half thereof) is a better starting
point?

Also, "connected to the Internet" is perhaps not as appropriate as "part
of the Internet"?

Regards,
Neale.