RE: Requirements [was Re: Transport level multihoming]

Yes, I know. I am getting annoying:-)

I cannot talk for the TCP based API. The SCTP socket draft should give soem
clues about that. I can only talk as a UDP style user: I supply the IP
addresses at association setup and after association setup, I can send
messages to SCTP(using the association ID) till I or the remote side decides
to breakdown the assocation. SCTP can also shower me with messages coming
from the remote end during the association lifetime. That's the basic
operation: some nifty things are taken care for me by SCTP: MTU path
discovery( I don't have to do that myself), if my side or the remote sides
sents a lot of traffic, then congestion control kicks in, it protects
against certain DOS attacks(not all of them, but it's a start) and others.

>     - My reading of SCTP suggests that it only supports
> multiple address
>       negotiation at session establishment. This would seem to make it
>       difficult for it to deal with address renumbering
> events, which is
>       kind of unfortunate. Has any thought been given to this?

Well, a draft on adding and/or removing IP addresses in a SCTP association
is now in the works . see:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sigtran-addip-sctp-01.txt

> Geoff's presentation indicates that multi-homing and
> consequent traffic
> engineering tricks (i.e. selective leaking of more-specifics)
> represents the
> biggest growth problem facing the routing system today. If
> multhoming at
> the transport layer can be made to work well, it would seem
> to hold some
> potential as a solution. Can transport-layer multihoming
> solve all of the
> requirements so far listed in the multi6 draft? I dunno - an
> analsys of
> that might be interesting...
>
> 	--Vince

yours sincerly,
Lode

Siemens Atea ICN D CS D
Software Development
Atealaan 34
B-2200    Herentals    Belgium
Tel +32-14-25-2081   /  Fax +32-14-25-3212
E-mail:   lode.coene@siemens.atea.be