RE: Regionally aggregatable address space for multihoming

> > Only if you revolutionise ISP interconnection strategies and
> > find some way to change the underlying economics.
>Geoff Huston should be stepping up to this one. There is no need to change
>human nature, just provide a reasonable tool for aggregation then charge for
>carrying explicit routes when people insist on them. Match the economics to
>human nature rather than trying to invent a technological restraint system.

Ok - I'll step up to this.  The theory is fine, but the practice is harder
to identify.

I find it hard to conceive as to what a 'geography' may be when its cheaper
to cross the Atlantic by submarine cable, station to station, than it is to
do last mile at either end. We had this model in our collective industry
heads that "distance = cost" and that local geographies see some cost
benefit in locally interconnecting. In the current communications
environments the cost of local regulatory regimes appears to be greater
than the cost of distance, and a least cost community of common benefit has
no geographic counterpart.

We are certainly on the horns of some form of dilemma - conventional
routing wisdom indicates that some form of hierarchy is one of the few
tools that address route scaleability - through hierarchies fine detail is
obscured at a distance, and these details only become visible at a local
level. However, the cost of circuitry is inexorably dropping - customers
find it cost effective to drag two or more local circuits to two or more
upstreams as the most cost effective response to resiliency requirements.
Providers find it cost effective to drag long haul circuits all over the
place as a means of bypassing various components of a locally-provided
upstream transit service. At what point in the long haul over-supply market
will the long haul providers start to look at end customers as a potential
long-haul customers, and at what point will multi-homing become a non-local
problem? What appears to be happening is that "geographic" locality and
"least cost" locality don't match all that closely. (Yes this "long
distance is cheaper" sounds far fetched, but its also far a far fetched,
but current, reality which makes a Tokyo - LA circuit cheaper than a Tokyo
- Osaka circuit.)

So inside all this I see and understand that IF we had a pretty solid
"distance = cost" dominant cost model then there would be a fair incentive
for local interconnection - to some extent. If we _also_ had a different
inter-provider settlement model where every packet was purchased from its
originating provider and on-sold to its terminating provider (to borrow
some PSTN settlement terms with a reselling margin equal to the marginal
cost of transit), then there would be an even stronger case for local
interconnection, and, furthermore if the packet accounting settlement rates
were fixed according to some imposed industry model, then the case for
regionally aggregateable addresses would be pretty solid.

Needless to say, by this stage you are pretty close to the PSTN original
interprovider settlement model and about 1,000,000 miles away from the
Internet of today.

There are a number of theoretically stable inter-provider economic models
that could support an Internet. There are very few models which also allow
a transition from today's reality to an end point of universal adoption of
the particular model. I have this depressing view (*) that metro routing
aggregation is one of these models which could work, but the path from here
to there is not visible to me at any rate.

(*) depressing to me at any rate, because most of the routing scaling tools
infer the use of hierarchies, which in turn require a pretty substantial
shift of current operating practice.

There may be some other approaches: if you concede that a full routing
table at some point in the future will have some considerable cost in terms
of specialized support machinery, then the market will sort itself out
through the use of different route filters applied to peers, customers and
upstreams. The implied route scaling cost of multi-homing would become as
explicit cost of protocol scaling, and there would be a solid economic
incentive to single-home. But, that's a big concession, and one which has
no basis in what we are seeing today. Today its the protocol which is
showing signs of scaling stress, not the routing engines, and attempting to
work out an economic model which applies local pressure for a greater
common good of protocol stability is a tough ask.

    Geoff