Re: Regionally aggregatable address space for multihoming

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch@muada.com>
To: "Tony Li" <tli@Procket.com>
Cc: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian@hursley.ibm.com>; <multi6@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 05:47
Subject: Re: Regionally aggregatable address space for multihoming

> Is stopping the routing table growth the best way to address these
> problems? If so, the next step is to choose an approach, such as:
>
> - not allowing or restricting multihoming the way it is done now
>   This means we need alternatives, such as a good way to select the best
>   address when a host has more than one and ways for higher layers
>   to survive address changes.

Well, multi-homing nowadays doesn't necessarily involve selecting the 'best'
route, it just selects a valid route (the lack of any QoS makes trying to
select the best route on a wide-area scale futile IMO).  So, until inter-domain
QoS becomes a reality, making finding the best route (or in this case, the best
address) a requirement probably won't help.

With this in mind, I think we can more easily come up with a valid multiple
address solution by simply stating that the network needs to find 'a' route
between the two end-points.

Alec