Re: Regionally aggregatable address space for multihoming

At 6/19/01 07:52 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Is it just multi-homing that is at the source of the issue? What
> > about the prefix-based inter-AS traffic engineering that Geoff
> > alluded to in Minneapolis?
>
>that is the ptomaine effort, yes?

no - the ptomaine effort attempts to say that lets continue to use the
inter-domain routing protocol as connectivity + policy + TE and lets work
how to identify the 'noise' associated with policy + TE and limit its
promulgation with the routing fabric to some loosely defined boundary.

This strikes me as a stop gap rather than an enduring scaleable solution,
in my humble opinion. I dont mean to devalue ptomaine as I think that
buying time is good if you have a problem, but my cautionary note is along
the lines of not mistaking the band aid for the cure. :-)

   Geoff