Re: An idea: GxSE

> At 10:23 AM 6/20/2001 -0700, Paul Francis wrote:
> >Every host knows at least one (and typically only one) address for
itself,
> >called the self-known address (SK address).  The SK address may or may
not
> >be globally routable, but must be globally unique.
>
> How can you build an SK with such properties?

Simplest thing would be to get a prefix assigned from your ISP, but on a
permanent basis.  In other words, the ISP would leave that address assigned
to you forever, even after you change ISPs.  If you changed ISP, the prefix
stops being routable, in the sense that a packet routed to that prefix would
reach the ISP but then get dropped.  As far as I know, there is no reason to
need to independently distinguish a non-routable SK address from a GR
address.

If you object that ISPs won't do this...then have some other registry do
it...

PF