Re: An idea: GxSE

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Paul Francis wrote:

> Like GSE, the basic idea is to isolate site numbering from global numbering
> by allowing site border routers to rewrite prefixes as packets pass in and
> out of a site.

[...]

> Comments?

Well, I'm new here so I don't know to what extend all of this has been
discussed before.

But if we're going to push this problem to the end systems, aren't there
any easier and more compatible ways to do it?

Making a TCP session use multiple addresses would be a possibility. An
option to negotiate extra IP addresses for a stream would certainly make
TCP more complex but this could be reasonably backward compatible, it
wouldn't require any changes in the IP layer or the routers and as a bonus
it would allow multiple paths to be used concurrently for extra bandwidth.