Re: An idea: GxSE

At 13:56 25/06/01, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>        also, remember why GSE proposal was not integrated into IPv6

        GSE was not integrated due to politics, pure and simple.  Lets
please try to make technical decisions over here in multi6, rather
than repeat past political mistakes.

>        IPv6 is designed based on IPv4 experiences, and tries to benefit
>        from the success of IPv4.  if we add too many fundamental design
>        changes into IPv6 (like 8+8 address rewrites on routers)
>        we may not be able to success in IPv6, like IPv4 did.

Itojun,

        8+8 rewrites in a border router at 1/10 Gbps line speed aren't
worrying the major router vendors, AFAIK.  Certainly it doesn't cause me
to lose sleep at night.  However, we haven't yet decided whether we
want to take that approach or not.

        It IS sensible to try to sort out what problem(s) we are trying
to solve up front, without closing doors.  Then we can try to sort things
out among various alternative approaches.  Stopping the discussion
prematurely will guarantee failure, however.

Ran
rja@inet.org