Re: requirements draft revision

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:00:55AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> >   A "transit provider", T,  of enterprise E is an enterprise
> >   which provides connectivity to the Internet for E which
> >   extends beyond the part of the Internet operated by T. T
> >   and E are directly connected.
>
> i have a more open notion
>
> A "transit provider", T, to network N provides N with connectivity to the
> global internet extending beyond that part of the internet operated by T.
> T and N may be directly connected, or the relationship may be indirect.

We haven't defined a "network" in this context (I'm assuming
"enterprise" will do the trick; "network" hints at routing
solutions and we are trying to be general).

Also, a transit provider can usefully provide connectivity to some
subset of the global internet, as in the case of, uh, some friendly,
easy-to-deal-with ISP providing transit to just one soon-to-file-
chapter-11 ISP who is difficult to deal with directly.

What do you have in mind by the "or the relationship may be indirect"
phrase? What particular case are you trying to accommodate?

Joe