Re: A tunneling proposal

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Tony Li wrote:

>  | > The basic idea is to have a mechanism that can dynamically create
>  | > stateless tunnels within the transit providers of a multihomed enterprise
>  | > to route around failures so that existing connections can fail over
>  | > to the new paths.

>  | Why would you need to do this? If you can send tunneled packets to the
>  | destination network, I can see no reason you can't send un-tunneled packets
>  | too.

> Routing.

I didn't read the original message carefully enough, my apologies.

I took "around the failures" to mean from one point within an ISP to another
point with the same/a different ISP.

Tunnels can fix some types of failures, but they can't fix every type of
failure, like routing problems that affect the entire ISP. This kind of
multihoming is clearly inferior to the regular IPv4 way.