RE: An idea: GxSE

RJ Atkinson wrote:

>         Even ignoring security, which I don't advise, DDNS
> requires more gorp (protocols, network transactions,
> services, etc.) than just running with a static network
> configuration.

This is a trade-off between the automation getting confused, or the operator misconfiguring it. I will agree that the current state of automation in products will lose this contest to a skilled operator, but I will also argue that in the end automation will always beat out the cheap low-skill operator.

>         Folks running high-availability {networking, computing}
> services generally try hard to make their configurations
> very simple, because simple generally works best and most
> reliably.

I agree completely that simplicity is crucial, but there is a crossover between which is simpler based on the skill level of the operator. Generally the lower the skill level, the more automation is required to keep it simple.

Tony