Re: A tunneling proposal

At 05:40 PM 7/16/01, Ramakrishna Gummadi wrote:
>I hypothesize that the only scenario where tunneling for TCP
>and UDP fails is when the entire ISP is affected in a major way.

Given economic conditions and the relative health or lack thereof of some
providers, this alone is a significant concern. If a network is powered
down by their bankers, customers who were multihomed via tunneling would be
out of luck. This isn't the type of redundancy that is going to make people
sleep well at night.

People want to multihome so that any outage, from a local loop to a
backbone carrier can occur without obliterating their connectivity. I think
it important to keep that in mind.

Tunneling is quite useful for fixing temporary problems, but I'm not
convinced it's a worthwhile solution to the multihoming problem.

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com