Re: A tunneling proposal

One can think of a simple extension to tunneling under such ISP-wide
outages---if tunnel creation fails, the second ISP initiates
non-aggregatable route announcements for the prefixes from the address
space of the first ISP who has become unreachable. This two step approach
may prove effective for fixing both small-scale temporary and large-scale
persistent problems.

It may be a good idea to examine a breakdown of the kind of failures
experiences within an ISP, because this will help judge the effectiveness
of the tunneling approach. But the primary motivation in tunneling is not
to introduce unnecessray routes into the DFZ if there is an alternative.
For example, I know that, in the context of server farms, about 20% of
outages and errors are because of local power failures, but this may not
hold in the ISP case. Does anyone have any info about the main problems
and their frequencies?

thanks,
ramki