Re: A tunneling proposal

> > >For example, I know that, in the context of server farms, about 20% of
> > >outages and errors are because of local power failures, but this may not
> > >hold in the ISP case. Does anyone have any info about the main problems
> > >and their frequencies?
>
> > Where's that 20% figure come from? With all the backups the colo vendor
> > salesfolk talk about, that's a surprising figure.
>
> Power is getting less and less stable these days. Those anti-globalisation
> people do have a point, you know.
>
> I got this from http://www.apcc.com/power/problems.cfm
>
> "Power problems are the largest cause of data loss"
>
> Power Failure/Surge: 45.3%
> Storm Damage: 9.4%
> Fire or Explosion: 8.2%
> Hardware/Software Error: 8.2%
> Flood & Water Damage: 6.7%
> Earthquake: 5.5%
> Network Outage: 4.5%
> Human Error/Sabotage: 3.2%
> HVAC Failure: 2.3%
> Other 6.7%
>
> Source: Contingency Planning
>
> So power problems are about 8 times as common as earthquakes. That's not so
> bad.
>
> Iljitsch van Beijnum

The following excerpt is from the results of the web-polygraph cache
benchmarking bake-off:
(http://www.measurement-factory.com/results/public/cacheoff/N03/report.by-alph.html)

 The IBM-230 entry was unable to complete the downtime test. The system
requires manual intervention to boot up. IBM informed us that the product
is designed to never lose power. It has triple-redundant power supplies.

It costs $25,000, BTW. I wonder why they did not anticipate that
someone can pull a plug by mistake...

-ramki