Re: A tunneling proposal

Forgive me...I'm running behind...see notes below.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Daniel Senie wrote:

> This could work, provided the alternate upstream ISPs are willing, and
> other networks are willing to take the announcements. The concern is that
> RADB and similar are used by providers to restrict where announcements will
> come from. Keep in mind also that what we're talking about here is human
> intervention in the case of an outage. The question to be answered by
> prospective users of such a multhoming solution is how many hours of outage
> can be tolerated? I suspect it unlikely that automated tunnel creation and
> announcement setup would be well received by those running backbones, so
> there's likely to be a human element at play.

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect here.  Multihoming is meant to be
"automatic," no intervention required.  You're talking about manually
rerouting traffic, not multihoming.  What's the point of this if you have
to do it manually?

> While I understand the desire to find ways to avoid introducing routes into
> the DFZ, I firmly believe any solution should provide an automated
> resilience in the face of outages. I'm not yet convinced there's a good way
> to do this with tunnels.

-Taz

--
        "Be liberal in what you accept,