Re: Provider Independent addressing usage

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > I think one of the goals is that inter-region providers, or "upper layers"
> > in general, don't have to know all the specific routes.

Er, that is the goal of all route aggregation techniques and is the thing that
multihoming makes very hard. It's the governing clause for every single
thing that multi6 discusses. PI is one of the oldest ideas around to satisfy this
goal and the question is still the same as always: is the deployment of all the
necessary IX's a realistic expectation?

I think you'll find this goes back at least to a draft by Bill Simpson about 5
years ago, and I still haven't seen a convincing argument why all those IX's will
spring into existence.

   Brian