RE: Provider Independent addressing usage

 | The IXs are in process now first in Europe and now in Asia.  Do not view
 | this as U.S. focus that is just one part of the Internet.
 |
 | > The insurmountable problem was that exchanges had to come into
 | > existence immediately, or PI would sink the routing system.

I think a very important question is about whether or not exchanges are
part of the natural economically incented growth of the Internet.  What
we've seen in the US is that they made some sense for awhile, but that
private interconnect is drawing the traffic away.  One then has to ask how
this architecture will play out given an underlying private interconnect
architecture.

If one can get better (i.e., more reliable, higher bandwidth) service by
being in PA space and relying on that provider's private interconnect, why
then would anyone want to be in PI space?  For those places where exchanges
do not currently exist, it seems unlikely that the creation of a routing
architecture would cause those exchanges to come into being.  And for those
places where exchanges already exist, wouldn't most customer trend away
from PI space?

The meta point here is that whatever architecture is selected, it needs to
operate with the natural economic order.  Otherwise carriers and customers
will both be incented to circumvent the architecture to optimize their own
benefit.

Tony