Re: Transport level multihoming

It has been on my mind for some time to elevate this proposal (and the
subsequent discussions in Tokyo) to I-D level, but getting it to the right
printing format is beyond me.  Can someone point me to some tools that might
help me translate this into IETF acceptable format?

My apologies for not getting to it sooner.  I have had an incredibily full
schedule with the release of our new operating system over the past year or so.

My analysis of multihoming and the widespread criticism of Ipv6 "outside the
Ipv6 fold", indicated that host-based multihoming was probably the only thing
that was going to fly.

I put the idea together after much discussion on the ipng mailing list.  The
preconditions were that strong aggregation and multi numbering were an inherent
part of the multihoming brief for Ipv6, and that it was not possible to change
the rules to suit my needs (e.g. GSE).  Also part of my brief was to consider
that the routing infrastructure was made up of a number of entities in a mutal
love/hate relationship implying that they would be unwilling to do much more
than forward packets to each other (ruling out any kind of friendly tunneling
proposals).

If there is sufficient interest, I believe the proposal (at the suggestion of
Steve durin the Tokyo meeting) can be extended outside the initial TCP scope
for which it was intended.   I have since determined the fundamental principles
of the proposal so that they can be applied to a more general proposal.

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam                            peter@trumpet.com
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd