Re: LIN6 and multihoming (+sec)

I'd like to use this comment as a springboard to what might be called
a meta-discussion of multihoming requirments.

At 11:26 AM +0300 8/18/01, Pekka Savola wrote:
>[http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teraoka-ipng-lin6-01.txt]
>
>As LIN6 was presented at multi6, and I don't know of a better place to
>comment on this, I guess I'll just post these here..
>
>The fact is that the multihoming support of LIN6 is only limited to single
>nodes, clearly made cellular mobiles in mind:
>
>[snip]
>

>I don't think people generally want to multihome every node, rather
>multihome a router and provide multihomed connection that way.

This is where I partially disagree. Yes, I can understand that it is
generally not required to multihome cellular mobile hosts.  I hope I
may be forgiven for loose terminology if I call them "clients."

"Server" hosts, in contrast, very reasonably will be multihomed to
routers. Indeed, there may be complex relationships of multiple
servers and multiple routers.

The mechanism of server to router multihoming will vary with the
application. When the multiple routers are on the same subnet as the
server, a mechanism as simple as VRRP may suffice, perhaps with
multiple VRRP groups for a degree of load-sharing.  As the servers
and routers become more distributed, some NAT or transport based
mechanism may be needed, or the servers may need some awareness of
routing.

Howard Berkowitz
Nortel Networks