RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, marcelo bagnulo wrote:

> I think LIN6 is an implementation of the host translation case that you are
> proposing.

I have perused the LIN6 draft, but as far as I can tell without a much
closer read, it requires IPsec (which makes it too heavy-weight for most
current applications) and it also uses a special value in the rewritten
address.

What I want to do (but, granted, do not explain in much detail) is rewrite
a prefix. That could be a /128 or a /64 or a /48 or anything else.
Obviously, when a host is doing this itself, it will usually replace one
/128 with another. On the other hand, if a proxy rewriting agent performs
the operation, it might substitute one /64 prefix for another. The host
bits remain the same. That way, the entire process is just about
completely stateless.

I am of course in now way claiming to be the inventor of address rewriting
or even a particular way of address rewriting, all I did was to remove
most of the complexity of earlier proposals and integrate everything.

Iljitsch van Beijnum

PS. Is it just me or are there severe bootstrapping problems when trying
to understand drafts? I've read about 8 of them today, and in most cases
you have to read the whole thing before understanding much... Please
please please use a good abstract and/or introduction in longer drafts.