Re: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

Hi,
I don't think that it is a good idea to assume that every multihomed host
has a DNS entry (for whatever reason); such an "anonymous" multihomed host
may initiate a connection, and  a multihoming solution must
work (redundancy, transport layer survivability, etc.) for these
connections as well. This is my primary complaint with DNS-based
solutions.

My second complaint, and this applies to SCTP as well, is that we are
implicitly assuming here that one end can do DNS lookups to learn the
addresses of the other end---this may be impossible with busy servers.

Also, I don't think it is a good idea to mandate every application to be
aware of all multi-address details, which SCTP requires. We must remember
that SCTP was invented primarily for carrying signaling messages (the
abstract says as much), and one of its co-authors I talked to says he
thinks that general applications should *not* have to deal with all these
details.

-ramki