RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Christian Huitema wrote:

> > Are you saying that if there is a good way to implement multihoming
> > that requires a globally distributed hierarchical database system, we
> > should create a new one?

> Well, you should first prove that we actually need a globally
> distributed hierarchical database. I don't think so.

The problem is that there is no clear "best" way to do multihoming in
IPv6. So router people want the hosts to solve it, layer 4 people want
layer 3 to solve it, and so on. Who will be the tiebreaker? Someone people
are bound to be unhappy, whatever we end up implementing.

> We start with the
> assumption that hosts have multiple addresses, but that the
> corresponding host only knows one of them.

For multi-address multihoming to work, we need to know more than one
address the time of session establishment. Preferably before setting up a
session, but certainly well before the setup times out. However,
traditional multiple A/AAAA records should suffice for this purpose.

Iljitsch van Beijnum