RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

> So: what do we change in IP? There are several drafts and not-so-drafty
> proposals. They all have stronger and weaker points, and most of them seem
> to gravitate towards some kind of address rewriting scheme.

Perhaps we can try to collect strong points from different proposals :-)

IMO Preserving Active TCP sessions on Multi-homed IPv6 Networks (PATS from
now on) and LIN6 are both very interesting proposals.

However, PATS  is not transparent to TCP layer and above what introduces the
transport address concept and brings some problems (IPsec, TCP pseudo header
calculation and others as mentioned in the draft). This issue is solved in
LIN6 making address translation at IP level and making it transparent for
TCP, so that for TCP (and IPSec) only one address is used.

In the other hand, LIN6 uses a complex mechanism (designed for mobile
environement) for mapping different addresses (for defining the address
set), while PATS provide a simpler solution (IP prefixes option and perhaps
DNS info) to define the address set.

Wouldn?t be posible to merge them into one and obtain the best of the two
worlds?

Regards, marcelo