RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

Sorry, I think I do not understand, but doesn?t always the host knows which
addresses have been asigned to their own interfaces? Perhaps not all of them
are reachable  but this issue could be addressed with Router Renumbering and
Router Advertisement mechanisms, deprecating unreachable addresses.

> force routers to
> get involved which I hoped one could avoid.
>
> It doesn't have to be a router that tells you this, just some third party
> service like DNS or a reachability cache or somehing.
>
> I agree with the comments mad by Christian about DNS not being
> the best vehicle
> for this kind of information.

I am not saying that the DNS is the best option, I am just saying that for
almost the same price of the usual AAAA query, the DNS can provide an
initial address set, that can be overwritten in case that the other end
consider it necesary.

> Is it worth pursuing the reachability cache idea?

I find it interesting. I think that bragg draft proposed something related,
and reachability information was comunicated through redundant information
on the routing protocol. A similar mechanism  could be used to inform a host
about which of their own addresses are reachable from the outside.

> Peter
>
> --
> Peter R. Tattam                            peter@trumpet.com
> Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
> Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210

Regards, marcelo