RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

Title: RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

Hi,

 ----------------------- >8 -----------------------

It did.  Design intent was to use Routing and Host Renumbering mechanisms
to allow the Host initiating a communication to select a reachable Source
Address.  The selection of a reachable Destination Address was left to
the normal mechanisms (assuming a DNS lookup, return of multiple AAAA / A6
records, and retry with another address on lack of response).

The proposal assumed strict hierarchical addressing;  I recall that at about
the same time we were informed that we should consider Provider Addressing
to be dead within the Service Provider community.  So, while this proposal
and others have the potential to address multi-homed enterprises, they do
not help the problem of route proliferation in a highly meshed internet.

Regards,

     Nigel