Re: If IPv6 multihomed sites were cars

Iljitsch -

--- Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the differences in IP are
>> somewhat bigger than an order of magnitude in
>> size or the quality of the seats. The slowest
>> devices on the network are five orders of magnitude
>> slower than the fastest. If we compare DS3 to the
>> Mercedes and an ADSL user to a pedestrian, there
>> are also snails (cell phone modem) and vehicles
>> going mach 4 (Gigabit Ethernet) on the road.

Good point.

> ISPs can still do what they do now by getting a TLA
> address block and
> using BGP.

There is some danger here. As of today, there can be
only 8K TLAs and there are more ASNs allocated
already. I fear a rush to get a TLA "just in case"
by people that don't really need one. To be honest,
it has crossed my mind. With several thousand modems
and multiple DS3s OC48s I would probably qualify for
it. With such scarce numbers, it might even be a
sound business decision. If I could get an IPv4
class A today for a few thousand dollars, I certainly
would. Just in case.

>> So there is really no problem, as long as we can
>> make something good for multi-address multihoming
>> and this is implemented widely enough to be useful.

There needs to be some mutual awareness between all
the different solutions. As of today, there are still
people that say that we should design a mach 4 Yugo...

Michel