Re: additional requirement: cooperation

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:59:23AM -0800, Michel Py wrote:
> "direct neighbor" : As related to two transit providers, direct
> neighbors are BGP peers that can communicate without crossing any AS
> that is not owned by either transit provider.

How about:

  Two sites are "direct neighbours" if they are able to exchange
  traffic betwen their sites directly, without IP datagrams being
  processed by a router located at some third site.

That avoids the routing connotations, but accommodates traffic
carried over tunnels (since the encapsulated packets' IP datagrams
are unmolested by the routers involved in providing tunnel transport).

I can relax my spelling of "neighbour" if necessary :)

> The cooperation additional requirement could then be:
>
> "A multihoming strategy MAY require cooperation between a site
> and its transit providers, but MUST NOT require cooperation
> directly between the transit providers except for direct neighbors".

Joe