RE: (multi6) requirements draft comments

    > From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>

    > There is an implicit geographic context which modifies the scope of the
    > topology graph.

Only insofar as things which are topologically related often *happen* to have
a geographical relationship. All the *network* cares about is that these
things are next to each other in the connectivity graph. Their geographic
co-location is an accident of which *no* use is made.

    > Your picture is too simple to be useful in addressing the scope of this
    > problem.

It was simply intended as an example of the process of abstraction; I didn't
mean that this particular example had anything to do with this case.

    >> Now, do the same thing for all the other local ISP's hardware

    > This focus on *local* is the basic problem.

In that particular case, I was again speaking of local to mean "things which
are topologically close, and by accident happen to be physically close".

    > The actual topology frequently connects both at some local level and
    > pulls in a few very remote ISPs. Consider MegaRandomCorp which has
    > connections to 6 ISPs in the SF area, but on the same set of border
    > routers has direct circuits to an ISP in London, Tokyo, and Sydney. At
    > the same time RandomMegaCorp has connections to 3 of the same SF,
    > Tokyo, and Sydney ISPs, but a different one in London.

*It doesn't matter*. The resulting connectivity graph is still a graph, and
K-K still applies.

The naming abstraction boundaries you may have to create may not be ones that
people are happy with for policy reasons, but K-K guarantees that even a
network chock-a-block with the kind of connections you posit here can have
efficient (in the sense of small routing tables) routing - *provided* that
appropriate naming abstraction boundaries are picked.

    > If you fold the above complexity into your graph along with the other
    > ~12000 ASs that are prefix origins today, and managing the
    > topology-names becomes an administrative burden

Which is why, if you want to do multi-homing purely with routing (i.e.
multi-homed machines have a single routing-name, and the routing makes the
"right thing" happen), routing-name assignment shouldn't be done manually,
and why bureacracies to assign routing-names are problematic.

    > as topology is constantly shifting.
    >> the users have to renumber when they change providers

    > Actually they have to renumber everytime their neighbors change
    > providers as well, because the entire graph changes around them.

I've already explained this point to Christian, but apparently I wasn't clear
enough. Let me try again:

    >>> You'd only have to renumber if you wanted to to maintain absolute
    >>> optimality. Since absolute optimality produces a routing table of
    >>> size e*ln(N), i.e. as I mentioned before a 60 entry routing table for
    >>> a 10^8 node network, somehow I don't think we have to maintain
    >>> absolute optimality!

So we can almost certainly maintain our required degree of routing table size
limitation without constant renumbering. Yes, large changes (e.g. a local ISP
connects up to a new national ISP) might cause some renumbering, but that's
true even for uni-homed hosts.

    >>> Second (and this is really irrelevant, given the point above, but in
    >>> true routing-graph-theory-geek style I mention it for completeness) I
    >>> expect that the vast majority of connectivity changes in a graph can
    >>> be handled with a renumbering over a scope that's less than global.

In other words, if you are trying (for some reason) to provide the optimal
abstraction hierarchy, I would imagine that for most changes in the graph,
creation of a new optimal abstraction hierarchy would require changes to only
a reduced scope of the graph.

	Noel