Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

On Monday, Oct 21, 2002, at 17:24 America/Montreal, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
4. Work on geographical aggregation, especially by getting an address
   allocation mechanism that supports this off the ground.
At best, a different term needs to be found other than "geographical
aggregation". At worst, this is a bad idea.

The problem is that just because I am in city X, that still does not
mean that any of the ISPs that I connect to will interconnect inside X.
In all cases so far, I am on a tail circuit that goes to a *different*
geographical location (outside X in each case) for each provider that
I have.

In short, the IP routing topology is NOT closely congruent with the
world's geographical topology. If we assign addresses not congruent with
the actual IP routing topology, this tends to increase the number
of prefixes in the default-free-zone (which is generally understood
to be a bad property).

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com