The term multihoming [Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Michael H. Lambert wrote:
> > What proportion of Internet sites are multihomed?  Academia generally
> > isn't, not to the universities, although the NRENs will have multiple
> > peerings.
>
> In the US, all Internet2 member universities are multihomed (or at least
> the GigaPoPs to which they connect are, which helps with scaling but not
> the underlying problem).  This is true now for IPv4 and will be soon for
> IPv6.  Eventually the NRENs will impose the same Conditions of Use on IPv6
> as are currently in place for IPv4.  The end result is PA + multihoming +
> CoU = multiple addresses, some of which have special semantics.

Careful with the terminology...

In multihoming, two or more network connections to the same connectivity
provider is a trivial case we don't have to worry about.  I believe this
is what most academia do (we too).

Now, if a university would want to advertise it's /48 using commodity
Internet as a backup too.. that would be the problem we're solving.