RE: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

> Michel Py wrote:
> Here's the scenario: the home/soho host that is multihomed
> with cable and dsl makes a choice on which of its own addresses
> (the cable one, or the dsl one) to use. This choice will dictate
> on which pipe the return traffic from the web server to the
> requesting host goes.

> Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Actually it doesn't, twice.
> First of all, in order to really be multihomed, both addresses
> must be viable. So if the HTTP farm decides to direct its traffic
> to the other address, Joe can't really stop them, other than not
> advertise this address in the first place.

How could this possibly work? If Joe opens an HTTP connection to the web
server using a source address of PA2, there is no way the web server can
send the return traffic to Joe using PA1 as of today.

So, if it happens that from the web server's network, PA1 is preferred
over pipe P1, and PA2 is preferred over pipe P2, indeed we have Joe
choosing over which pipe the traffic will come out of the server farm.

Michel.