Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

On Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002, at 15:35 America/Montreal, Tony Hain wrote:
We can always find a exception, the question is can we find an approach
that minimizes the number and impact of those exceptions? If we insist
on finding the grand solution that will work for all cases, we will
never do anything.
I think it is important to understand what the deployed reality is today.
That impacts how widely useful some solutions might be, particularly
in the case of so-called "geographic addressing". I also think it
is important to understand when a given solution will not work with
some/all deployed networks. Financial realities mean that an IETF
document standardising a solution that requires more interconnection
probably will not lead to firms changing their topologies anytime soon
to meet such a requirement.

Over an arbitrary scope, you are correct. If we take a large enough
scope, it becomes less clear. After all, there are only so many physical
fiber runs under the oceans, and the places where they terminate is an
even smaller number. Granted the logical circuit topology is not limited
to that, but again, how many real exceptions will exist, and how many of
those will exist despite every attempt to prevent them?
A fair number of exceptions exist today.

And as the scope gets larger, the aggregation potential appears to
decline -- a kind of catch-22.

Ran