Re: Host-based may be the way to go, but network controls areneccessary

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Aldrin Isaac wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that a host-based host-only multihoming
> solution may be the only solution required for true end-to-end
> multihoming since a *good solution* should meet all requirements, bar
> simplicity, and should include mobility as well.

A host-based, host-only multihoming solution does not give the network the
visibility into alternate paths to a destination, and therefore cannot
apply policy to it.

The only point of control a network operator would have in that
environment is some kind of policy mechanism on hosts.  I don't see it
scaling to hundreds of thousands of nodes unless the central policy point
is a function of the network.

/cah

---
Craig A. Huegen, Chief Network Architect      C i s c o  S y s t e m s
IT Transport, Network Technology & Design           ||        ||
Cisco Systems, Inc., 400 East Tasman Drive          ||        ||
San Jose, CA  95134, (408) 526-8104                ||||      ||||
email: chuegen@cisco.com       CCIE #2100      ..:||||||:..:||||||:..