List of IPv6 multihoming drafts

Hi,

Peter's question regarding BGP methods reminded me...

As part of the series of IPv6 multihoming meetings here this week in
Atlanta (thanks Michel and Iljitsch!), I have noted the current
and past drafts and tried to categorise them into the solutions
spaces mentioned:

- host-based
- router based
- aggregatable pi space methods
- two-space methods

I'm reviewing these (and note an existing 12-18 month old review), but
feel free to comment on those listed.  Note very few are active.  I'll
also post soon some summary of the discussions we've had (which focus
on a small number of the methods below, of course).

Tim

* General info/overviews/requirements

- The IPv6MH web site
  http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/

- The Multi6 IETF WG Charter
  http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/multi6-charter.html

- Requirements for IPv6 Site-Multihoming Architectures
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-03.txt
  (Expires 30 Oct 2002) (!!!)

- IPv4 Multihoming Motivation, Practices and Limitations
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-multi6-v4-multihoming-00.txt
  (Expired)

- Survey on proposed IPv6 multi-homing network level mechanisms
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-bagnulo-multi6-survey6-00.txt
  (Expired)

* Network/router oriented drafts/solutions

- MHAP: Multi Homing Aliasing Protocol
  http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/draft-py-mhap-01a.txt
  A router solution, not a host one, for SOHO to full Enterprise networks.
  Some questions over resilience of RV points to attack.
  (No expiry, non-IETF proposal)

- IPv6 Reverse Routing Header and its application to Mobile Networks
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-nemo-reverse-routing-header-01.txt
  There is some multihomed mobile network discussion in Appendix B.
  (Expires 11 Apr 2003)

- Extension Header for Site-Multi-homing support
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bagnulo-multi6-mhexthdr-00.txt
  http://www.it.uc3m.es/marcelo/mhExtHdr.txt
  Uses new extension header to carry alternative route information.
  Problem for router vendors to add new header in hardware.
  (Expires 23 Apr 2003)

- GFN
  Geographical aggregation using BGP(?)
  Reference?

- Scalable support for multi-homed multi-provider connectivity
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-rfced-info-bates-multihoming-01.txt
  Routing based methods for IPv4 or IPv6, but old.
  (Expired)

- A proposal for scalable network-level multihoming
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ramki-multi6-nlmp-00.txt
  Uses BGP/tunnels.
  (Expired)

- Multi Homing Translation Protocol (MHTP)
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-py-multi6-mhtp-01.txt
  A predecesor to MHAP
  (Expired)

- GSE - An Alternate Addressing Architecture for IPv6 (aka 8+8)
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-ipngwg-gseaddr-00.txt
  A set of approaches that generally uses rewriting at the border router.
  (Expired)

- GSE+ - An Alternate Addressing Architecture to GSE
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-durand-gse+-00.txt
  (Expired)

- Multihomed routing domain issues for IPv6 aggregatable scheme
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-ngtrans-6bone-multi-01.txt
  Would probably need AH protection.
  (Expired)

- IPv6 Multihoming with Route Aggregation
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6multihome-with-aggr-01.txt
  (Expired)

- Routing support for IPv6 Multi-homing
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-bragg-ipv6-multihoming-00.txt
  Uses loose source based routing.
  (Expired)

* PI addressing based drafts/solutions

- An IPv6 Provider-Independent Global Unicast Address Format
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-03.txt
  Application and Use of the IPv6 Provider Independent Global Unicast
  Address Format
  ttp://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-03.txt
  Use WGS-84 positioning for geographic PI address allocation.
  (Expires Mar 2003)

- Provider-Internal Aggregation based on Geography to Support Multihoming
  in IPv6
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-isp-int-aggr-00.txt
  Suggests geograophically based aggregation of provider address space.
  (Expires Apr 2003)

- GAPI: A Geographically Aggregatable Provider Independent Address Space
  to Support Multihoming in IPv6
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-py-multi6-gapi-00.txt
  An address allocation scheme based on geography and city size.
  (Expires Apr 2003)

* Host-oriented drafts/solutions

- Host-Centric IPv6 Multihoming
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-multi6-hosts-01.txt
  (Expires 24 Dec 2002)
  Proposing a host multihoming solution using largely existing components.
  http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/HostCentricMulti6.pdf
  (IETF55 slides)

- Default Address Selection for IPv6
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09.txt  (Expires 6 Feb 2003)

- SCTP
  RFC2960 (Stream Control Transmission Protocol)
  Also: RFC3257 (applicability), RFC3286 (introduction), RFC3309.
  A protocol using heartbeats to detect path availability for multihoming.
  http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/ipv6mh-sctp.pdf
  (IETF55 slides)

- The Architecture of End to End Multihoming
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-03.txt
  An end to end (host-based) proposal
  (Expires Apr 2003)

- Multihoming issues in the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-coene-sctp-multihome-03.txt
  (Expired)

- Multi-homed Host Support in IPv6
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-shand-ipv6-multi-homing-01.txt