Re: Consensus check

On Wednesday, Dec 4, 2002, at 03:12 Canada/Eastern, Tony Li wrote:

I'm unaware of any exchanges that actually buy transit.  In
fact, the exchanges that I know of are selling either facilities
space or switch port bandwidth.
[this is not particularly germane to the discussion, but may be interesting to someone]

The LINX in London buys transit. The contracts LINX participants sign in order to connect to the exchange include requirements that routes corresponding to the numbers used to number the exchange fabrics (there are two of them) are not propagated to any other organisation. The LINX has its own AS, and originates a supernet which covers the exchange subnets.

Joe