Re: Next question...

Tony Li wrote:
Assuming that the request is authenticated, what's the real issue? Yes, the host cannot know that it is impossible to satisfy the request, but all this is is a hint to try another alternative.
I DDOS attack the far end. The local end then sends an authenticated hint to the routing system. In fact, if I DDOS a popular host, I can get a lot of local ends to provide "hints" and thus indirectly DDOS the routing system. And then suppose the routing system believes the hint. Now I can stop my DDOS on the host and go hide.

OTOH, if a host wants to provide either quality or reachability information about itself, I'm okay with that so long as it's authenticated and we can find a way to sanely aggregate the information.

Eliot