Re: network controls are necessary

On Monday, Dec 9, 2002, at 17:34 America/Montreal, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

Path MTU is a case where the network needs to signal back to the
host and the host needs to respond to the signal.  Part of the
reason that this isn't solid is that many host implementations don't
respond correctly.
more commonly, it's a misconfigured firewall, but NATs and similar
devices (load balancers) also can get it wrong.
I don't have significant problems using PMTU these days, perhaps I'm
just lucky. I did have problems in earlier days when PMTU was first
implemented, but the early problems seem to have been early implementation
anomalies.

Ran