RE: host or border router

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Tony Li wrote:

> |   I believe doing it in the actual SBR is a non-starter.

> Sorry, nope.  First, there are multiple systems out there today
> that could do this or are close to it.  Folks are pretty much there
> today with OC-48 interfaces and silicon forwarding, so there is
> enough thrust to support a wire speed GigE.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that only a small number of the
people buying very fast routers need this, so building this
functionality inside generic routers probably isn't the best way to go.

Not _requiring_ it to be done in the SBR leaves the option to do it in
the SBR anyway wide open for those who think that's a good idea. The
other way around is more problematic.