RE: Multihoming and what we discussed in Atlanta

Kurt,

% From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist
%
% > If customer had a PI /48 (from well-known limited PI  blocks)
which he
%
% Why does it have to be from a well known block? What you describe
above
% work just as fine with the current allocations.

Why do we have well-known blocks for RFC1918, RFC3056, RFC2471, etc.
Why couldn't they have come from arbitrary RIR blocks?  How will an
ISP who does not have an arrangement with you know not to aggregate
multihoming customers allocated from your block?

% > These blocks are easily identified with a prefix filter.  If these
PI
% > blocks are limited, say to 2^16 well-known /48s, DFZ growth due to
% > multihoming can be controlled and registries won't have too much
% >
%
% But if I am filtering these blocks, they are not really multihomed?

What I said was "identified with a prefix filter".  I didn't specify
what action should be taken after the identification.  The action I
imply is that ISPs MUST NOT AGGREGATE /48s from this well-known block.
By keeping the block small DFZ growth by multi-homing can be
controlled.

regards -- aldrin