Re: multi-homing vs multi-connecting

--On Thursday, 2 January 2003 10:00 -0500 "J. Noel Chiappa" <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

Another place where one term, "multi-homing", has been used to cover two
fairly different things are with so-called "site multi-homing" and "host
multi-homing" - the latter being a single host with multiple physical
interfaces.
Is there a fundamental difference in these two "types" of multihoming? In the IPv4 world, I would argue that there is not--it's just that the site router has better knowledge with which to make an interface selection than does the host (listen to RIP?).

Other than adding the non-trivial problem of source address selection to the mix, I don't see that IPv6 changes things. The distinction seems to rest primarily in the WG charter.

Michael

| Michael H. Lambert, Network Engineer Phone: +1 412 268-4960 |
| Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center FAX: +1 412 268-8200 |
| 4400 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 lambert@psc.edu |